Asian eyelid surgery, also known as Asian blepharoplasty, creates a new eyelid crease using various surgical techniques. This gives patients a natural-looking eyelid crease dividing the upper eyelid. While this procedure is generally popular amongst Asian patients without an eyelid crease due to genetic factors, it’s also suitable for patients who want to improve the overall appearance of their upper eyelids.
What is Asian Eyelid Surgery?
Asian eyelid surgery is a cosmetic procedure that aims to create a new natural-looking crease on the upper eyelids. This crease is created using suture ligation or an external incision — two different surgical techniques that achieve that same desired results without any signs of cosmetic work. The crease is generally made by dividing the upper eyelids.
Issues Addressed by Asian Eyelid Surgery…
- Lack of upper eyelid crease
- Sagging upper eyelids
- Eyelid malposition or asymmetry
How is Asian Eyelid Surgery Performed?
Your Asian eyelid surgery will start with a personal consultation with Dr. Nadeau. She’ll discuss your goals and concerns, examine your eyelids, run various tests, review your medical history, and curate the ideal Asian eyelid surgery plan. She’ll also determine the ideal surgical technique for your specific needs — suture ligation or external incision technique.
The following is an overview of both Asian eyelid surgery techniques:
- Suture Ligation: After delivering local anesthesia, the surgeon will compress and indent your eyelid tissues to create a new crease. She’ll tie sutures underneath the skin to create a static crease that doesn’t soften when you look down. However, the results from this technique may dissipate over time.
- External Incision: This surgical technique creates a dynamic crease that moves when you look down. After delivering local anesthesia, the surgeon makes an incision to remove excess skin tissues and fat and reposition the skin-muscle flap to create a natural-looking crease. The incision is closed to create a dynamic eyelid crease.
The Benefits of Asian Eyelid Surgery
- The eyes look larger
- Reduces puffiness, wrinkles, and signs of aging
- The results look natural